Friday, July 10, 2009

Surgery for Paul Bunion

Last Thursday I had surgery on Paul Bunion. I went in feeling nervous for my first ever surgery but expecting to be over and done with it in 24-48 hours. I know now that we were very unprepared for what would happen. The first two days are completely a blur to me and the next three weren't much better. I slept, ate crackers and took pain killers. My 4-year-old neice was very sympathetic and concerned. She layed beside me quite a bit and told me things like "You'll be ok, Tante, don't cry anymore" and "No matter what happens, I love you." She's the cutest thing ever.

I couldn't really do anything for myself and so Brett took care of me. He had to carry me anywhere I went because of pain, nausea and dizziness. The pain is more than I thought it would be, I'm apparently not very tolerant to pain. I had little recollection of things that had happened during the first 5 days and conversations I had have mostly been forgotten (sorry).

On Wednesday my hard core meds ran out and I started on a less aggresive pain medication; I started to come back to life. My brain is once again functioning, though probably not 100%, but things are on the up and up.

Today I went back to the doctor and he took out the stitches (ouch). I have pictures of the foot from today, it's pretty gross looking though so I may not post it. I have to keep the bandage on for another month until my next appointment, which means no real showering, as I have to keep it dry. He also said he would suggest that I didn't drive for 6 weeks...sigh*

The weird thing is that my right foot is now flat on the outside. If you will take a look back at the picture of my feet you will notice that even the foot without the bunion had a little bit of a protruding bone, we'll have to wait and see that it looks like when it's healed. Right now I have a wicked gash that's oozing blood.

Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

shanney...im so sorry you have been in so much pain. we are still praying for your healing.