Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Children show us joy

Kids are God's way of helping us to remember hope and joy, I'm convinced of it. I've been working with kids for awhile now, as a substitute teacher, and while certainly there are kids who try my nerves, I always can see joy in them.

The problem with becoming an adult is that we lose that, kids still have that spark in their eyes. No matter how bad the day has been, as they run down the sidewalk for recess I can see that unbridled joy. There is something to rejoice about, even if it is only the twenty minutes of freedom they get to enjoy.

It’s a blessing that God gives us children so that we might remember; so that we might see joy and hope. As adults we are so damaged, and I desire so much to have that joy and hope that I see in these children every day. Where has it gone to and how can I get it back?

Sometimes my faith feels like head knowledge, I can’t feel it. I know we all go through those times, I can rationalize it in my mind but my spirit feels defeated. I am so glad for the children I encounter because they give me hope that this joy will come back to me. They help me remember that it exists.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Wow...Brooke and I were just talking about this tonight. I got to babysit a couple of kids today, and I found it to be one of the best things I could do as I'm working through some of this heavy grown-up stuff. Kids put everything into perspective. Pretty amazing.